Congressman Jim McGovern

Representing the 2nd District of Massachussetts
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

Constituent Services - Passports

A passport is an internationally recognized document that verifies the identity and nationality of the bearer. A valid U.S. passport is necessary to enter and leave most foreign countries. Only the U.S. State Department has the authority to grant, issue, or verify United States passports.

Over the past decade, the number of passports issued has doubled from 6 to 12 million per year, and that number will likely continue to increase. It is a good idea to plan ahead as much as possible when anticipating any travel outside the country. Please scroll down the page for information on applications, renewals, fees and the increased demand.

The State Department has specific advice for travelers who have not applied for passports to date.   It is best to visit their website for standard and expedited passport processing.

Below are listed some frequently-asked questions (FAQs) regarding Passports:

For a list of facilities located in Second Congressional District of Massachusetts, please go to the Passport Acceptance Facility Search Page operated by the U.S. State Department, and enter your ZIP code or the state of Second Congressional District of Massachusetts. Such facilities are generally located in post offices, county clerk offices, and other easily-accessible sites. You need to take a valid photo ID (such as a driver's license), proof of U.S. citizenship (such as a birth certificate) and two passport-sized photographs of yourself.

For more information you can visit the Department of State's Passport website or contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778 or 1-888-874-7793 (TDD/TTY).

For my office to assist you with any questions you may have regarding your case, you will need to complete a privacy release form giving permission for my staff to make inquiries on your behalf. The Privacy Act of 1974 requires that I have your written authorization before I can obtain any information about you from a federal agency. You can read my office's privacy policy here.

While a friend or family member can certainly contact my office on someone else's behalf, the privacy release form must be signed by the individual needing the assistance. On any correspondence sent to me, please include your phone number and contact information so that my staff can be as responsive as possible to your request. 

When completing the form, please include all pertinent information such as:

  • Your full name
  • Your Social Security Number
  • Date of birth
  • Type of claim and date filed
  • Description of concern/issue
  • Your contact information (phone number, address, e-mail)

In most cases, my office can contact the appropriate agency on your behalf to assure that you have been given every consideration available. Please note that I cannot force an agency to expedite a case or act in favor of a constituent.  However, I can help communicate the circumstances and request that the agency take appropriate actions to assist you.

Please keep in mind that due to the constitutional separation of the legislative and judicial branches of government, an elected official is not allowed to get involved in legal matters or cases before the court. In these instances, you may wish to seek legal counsel and speak with an attorney. If your concern is with a state or local entity, you will need to contact the appropriate jurisdiction for these issues. You can search for your state legislators here. Additionally, those who are not living within the Second Congressional District of Massachusetts should contact their own member for assistance. You can search for your Member of Congress here.  Exceptions to this might include military personnel who are away from the state while on active duty or students attending college out of state.

Again, I am more than happy to help with issues you might have with the federal government and look forward to being an advocate for you whenever possible.