McGovern to Join Western Mass. Hunger March to Support Families in Need
SPRINGFIELD, MA – Next Monday, November 21st, Congressman Jim McGovern (MA-02) will kick off the 7th annual “Monte’s March,” a 43-mile two-day walk as part of his anti-hunger push in Western Massachusetts. Congressmen Joe Kennedy III (MA-04) and Richard Neal (MA-01) will be among those joining the event. The march is aimed at helping to increase awareness about hunger in local communities and help Massachusetts families in need this thanksgiving.
“As we prepare for Thanksgiving, there are many Massachusetts families who are struggling just to put food on the table,” Congressman McGovern said. “To bring our communities together and raise awareness to help families in need, we’ll be kicking off the seventh annual Monte’s March, the longest-yet at 43 miles across Western Massachusetts. Hunger is something that touches families across the Commonwealth, but together, we can help to ensure that every family has access to the healthy meals they need this holiday season.”
Joining Congressman McGovern for the full 43 miles will be the founder of Monte’s March, WRSI The River radio host Monte Belmonte, as well as Andrew Morehouse, the Executive Director of The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts. Also joining part of the march will be Congressmen Richard Neal and Joe Kennedy III; State Rep. Aaron Vega; State Rep-Elect Solomon Goldstein-Rose; students from Holyoke Community College, Greenfield Community College and The Greenfield Center School; and local mayors, and other community leaders.
This year’s hunger walk will be the longest yet at 43 miles, starting on Monday with stops in Springfield, Chicopee, Holyoke, and Northampton. The walk will finish on Tuesday with stops in Hadley, Amherst, Sunderland, and Greenfield. Throughout the march, you can listen live at 93.9 The River. Click here for more information about the march.
WHAT: Monte’s March, a 43-mile anti-hunger march across Western Massachusetts
WHEN: Monday 11/21 at 7:00AM
WHERE: March Starts at Friends of The Homeless. 755 Worthington St., Springfield
- The march continues Monday with stops in Chicopee, Holyoke, and Northampton
- On Tuesday 11/22 with stops in Hadley, Amherst, Sunderland, and ending in Greenfield
- Full info below:
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 21st
- 7:00 am – Depart from Friends of The Homeless. 755 Worthington St. Springfield
- 8:30 am – Arrive at Chicopee City Limits
- 9:00 am – Arrive in Chicopee Falls
- 10:00 am – Arrive in Downtown Holyoke
- 11:00 am - 2:00 pm – Finish first day, walking down Northampton Street to Northampton
- 6:30 pm – Fundraising event at The Northampton Brewery, 11 Brewster Ct, Northampton
- Note: Throughout the day, the march will be joined by Holyoke Community College students
TUESDAY, NOVEMBER 22nd
- 6:00 am – Depart Northampton Office, 94 Pleasant Street.
- 7:00 am – Arrival at Route 9 in Hadley near Mi Tierra
- 8:00 am – Arrival at Whole Foods in Hadley
- 9:15 am – Arrival in Downtown Amherst
- 10:30 am – Arrival at Amherst Survival Center
- 12:00 pm – Arrival in Downtown Sunderland
- 1:15 pm – Arrival at Chandler’s Restaurant at Yankee Candle for Lunch
- 2:30 pm Arrival at Route 5 & 10 north joined by students from Greenfield Community College and The Greenfield Center School
- 5:00 pm: Arrival in Greenfield
- 5:30 pm or 6:00 pm: Completion of march at Seymour The Pub, 5 Bank Row, Greenfield.