Congressman Jim McGovern

Representing the 2nd District of Massachussetts
Twitter icon
Facebook icon
Flickr icon
YouTube icon
RSS icon

For Individuals

Resources for Individuals
Jobs Disaster Preparedness
Identity Theft Flag Requests
Government Resources Passports
Consumer Protection Housing and Foreclosure Assistance

If you can't get an answer from a federal agency in a timely fashion, or if you feel you have been treated unfairly, my office may be able to help resolve a problem or get you the information you need.

While we cannot guarantee you a favorable outcome, we will do our best to help you receive a fair and timely response to your problem.

From simple requests to complex problems, my staff can help you. Daily, they help residents of the Second Congressional District resolve problems with Social Security, Medicare and Medicaid, immigration, military service, veteran’s benefits, federal worker compensation claims, tax matters and the IRS, passport assistance, grants, small business concerns, and many other important federal issues. 

These are some of the most common problems that my staff and I can help you solve:

  • locating lost Social Security, Veteran or Federal Retiree checks and benefits
  • determining eligibility requirements for Social Security, SSI and Medicare benefits
  • obtaining military records, dealing with VA hospitals and clinics, reissuing lost, stolen or unissued service awards
  • answering inquiries regarding U.S. Citizens Abroad, visas, passports and other State Department matters
  • helping with IRS problems
  • information on EEOC procedures
  • small business assistance
  • information regarding foreclosures and mortgage issues

Please note that my office cannot offer legal advice, recommend an attorney or intervene in cases that are under the jurisdiction of any court.

The Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a) requires that Members of Congress or their staff have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case.

In order to better serve you, the form below will generate a printable page that you should sign and mail to my office. You can also download a .pdf version of the privacy release from by clicking here. 

Please include all pertinent information and claim numbers in your correspondence—such as:

  • Your Social Security number for a case involving Social Security;
  • VA claim number for a case with Department of Veterans Affairs;
  • Taxpayer identification number (Social Security number, if individual) for an Internal Revenue Service problem, etc.;
  • Your address, home phone number and daytime phone number (if different than home) so that we can obtain any additional information from you that might be necessary;
  • Copies of any related documents or correspondence that you may have from the agency involved;

Authorization Form

* indicates information that you need to provide.

In accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974, I give Congressman Jim McGovern authority to act on my behalf.

Your Information

What are these options?
This is to help the constituents that are hard of hearing or use a video phone alert us to that fact so we can use the proper technology when we need to call them. The default option “Voice” is a normal audible telephone.

Nature of Problem

Print This Form

Use the Generate Request button to produce the document to authorize my office to help you. Then sign it and mail it to the address shown on the document. Please include any other documents or material that you think would help my office help you.