Home > helping you > Casework


If you need help with an issue that involves a federal agency I am happy to provide assistance. Please contact the casework staff in one of my District Offices to discuss your situation. In most cases, my office can contact the appropriate agency on your behalf to assure that you have been given every consideration available. Please note that I cannot force an agency to expedite a case or act in favor of a constituent.  However, I can help communicate the circumstances and request that the agency take appropriate actions to assist you.

Some federal agencies you may need assistance with are:

By clicking the links provided above, you can view a list of frequently-asked questions (FAQs) about issues involving individual concerns with these agencies. By reviewing the FAQs, you may readily find the answer to your question. For a complete listing of all government departments and agencies, please visit USA.gov alphabetical index. Many government sites maintain a FAQs section that may provide you with an answer to your question. As always, you are welcome to contact one of my District Offices for assistance.

There may be times when emergencies arise and an immediate passport is needed, a family member is ill in a foreign country, or some other unexpected event occurs that requires immediate attention. In this case, you should contact my District Office closest to you for immediate assistance.

The Privacy Act of 1974 requires that I have your written authorization before I can obtain any information about you from a federal agency. While a friend or family member can certainly contact my office on someone else's behalf, the privacy release form must be signed by the individual needing the assistance. On any correspondence sent to me, please include your contact information so that my staff can be as efficient and responsive as possible. All information provided will remain confidential. Click here to read my offices’ Privacy Policy. 

Please keep in mind that due to the constitutional separation of the legislative and judicial branches of government, an elected official is not allowed to get involved in legal matters or cases before the court. In these instances, you may wish to seek legal counsel and speak with an attorney. If your concern is with a state or local entity, you will need to contact the appropriate jurisdiction for these issues. You can search for your state legislators here. Additionally, those who are not living within the Second Congressional District of Massachusetts should contact their own member for assistance. You can search for your Member of Congress here.  Exceptions to this might include military personnel who are away from the state while on active duty or students attending college out of state.

Again, I am more than happy to help with issues you might have with the federal government and look forward to being an advocate for you whenever possible.

Click here to download PDF of the Privacy Release Form.

Privacy Release Form

* indicates information that you need to provide.

In accordance with the Privacy Act of 1974, I give Congressman Jim McGovern authority to act on my behalf.

Your Information
Today's Date:
* Prefix:
* First Name:
* Last Name:
* Street Address:
* City:
* State:
* Zip:
* Phone Number:
* Email:
* Date of Birth:
* Social Security Number:
Case Information
* Agency Involved:
* Agency Case Number(s): (if there is no case number, indicate "None")
Branch of Service: (if applicable)
Military Rank: (if applicable)
* Nature of Problem

Print This Form

Use the Generate Request button to produce the document to authorize my office to help you. Then sign it and mail it to the address shown on the document. Please include any other documents or material that you think would help my office help you.

Office Locations

Washington, DC Office

438 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515
phone: 202-225-6101
fax: 202-225-5759
hours: M-F 9-5:30pm

Leominster Office

24 Church Street, Room 29
Leominster, MA 01453
phone: 978-466-3552
fax: 978-466-3973
hours: M-F 9-5:00pm

Northampton Office

94 Pleasant Street
Northampton, MA 01060
phone: 413-341-8700
fax: 413-584-1216
hours: M-F 9-5:00pm

Worcester Office

12 East Worcester Street
Suite 1
Worcester, MA 01604
phone: 508-831-7356
fax: 508-754-0982
hours: M-F 9-5:00pm